Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mental Medicine



The last two days Josh and I have been hitting the Melbourne streets with a guitar and some other little noise makers, making enough to support our love of beer and fine food. The first day I was pretty anxious, so I was really glad to have Josh banging along on his bongo to a few tunes. I brought along my sketchbook and wrote, 'Trying to get back to Canada' in big blue letters and proped it up in my guitar case. I got a lot of smiles and I'm sure it helped to bring in a few dollars. In two hours we counted 42 aus dollars, a button, a lolipop and a piece of paper with a girls contact saying, "I've decided that I want to put you in a jar and take you home". ... the perfect ego boost.

Before going out I made a list of every song I could remember how to play, plus five covers which I've learnt recently. Having them all in front of me was like looking back on a golden path. Some songs I wrote about someone in my life, some when I was down or joyous, others when I was frustrated and trying desperately to push to a higher level. They were all there, looking just as anxious as I was about coming out into the world again.

Day two, there was a lot more competition. Friday afternoon, there was a busker, artist or homeless person on every single bustling corner. Three solid hours of playing later I had 53 dollars in my case. My sign came through once again, with some obvious Canadians throwing in some change shouting, 'Go Canada!'.

Tonight, Steph, Josh and I are heading out for a Canadian fix. We're going to see Caribou (the musician from Dundas, not the animal). Steph is out having a wander. Josh has just popped out to buy beer. I'm going to polish up on my Elvis.

bebs

No comments: