Monday, November 14, 2005

Doublethinks, Rockit, Alice, Daredevil, Burrito

Doublethinks' last gig went off fairly well, though I could have done with a taller mic stand and a much better keyboard for Kachun. (Kachun is my good friend/band mate named Anders. I've been trying to remember to use his chinese name instead of his english one, but I always forget)
We managed to play for just under an hour, and we had a really good response from a lot of the people there. I'm not sure on the actual number, but it was somewhere in the 150-170 range.........which would make it one of our biggest gigs, attendence wise.
There was a bit of a problem with the opening act showing up really late, and we in doublethinks couldn't help but feel we were getting screwed over a bit..........but I don't really feel like getting into now.
I've been trying to extend our band contacts lately, meeting new people and (as you do) put the name doublethinks out there as much as possible, and i think it may be working. Once I get back from holiday in canada we should have a few gigs lined up, so i can jump right back into the live bit again. It's so much fun jumping around on stage, being really loud and generally just messing about.
Kachun and I were talking the other day about getting a few acoustic gigs lined up. And seeing as Kachun has his fancy acoustic bass I could play......why the hell not.
We'll speak to the owner of gecko lounge soon to see what he has to say. Who knows, maybe he'll have an opening within the next couple of weeks.

-----------------------
Twas Pat's 21st birthday saturday night. So, naturally a cosy, dark cafe was rented out and the words, "all you can drink for two hundred bucks" were thrown out there somewhere......it turned out to be a fun night. Somewhere near the end of it Kachun and I had a sword fight, with real (unsharpened) swords. That was fun. I drank wine for most of the night, and played a lot of chess, russian roulett, and ring of fire. It had been so long since I last played chinese chess, so I lost every game against my fearless bandmate, Mr. K. I think I was getting better after a few games, though it may have just been the wine getting to me.

Yesterday, after not having slept much, I made my way to the practice studio with shaun........an hour and a half late. I had a great practice. Aside from feeling a bit nausious/
naucious....(sp) everything went smoothly.
After the studio I headed down to causeway bay to meet steph, and check out rockit festival. Rockit is hong kong's only music festival and it's really not that great, especially considering that Feeder was the main act of the night........not exactly a very rockin band. Some of the supporting acts however, like hong kong's The Academy put on a great show. I felt badly for the fella's in The Academy though, because the sound quality was pretty piss poor for their first few songs. Through no fault of their own though. The singers mic kept cutting in and out, so half of the time the crowd could only here his monitor, and the guitars weren't nearly loud enough. It almost seems like it was done on purpose because they kicked so much more ass than lousy Feeder. The only thing that kept me watching feeder (which i only did for about half their set) was the lighting job. The lights acted just like flipping channels on tv, constantly jolting my gaze towards the stage.
At this point in the day I was feeling really weak, as I hadn't eaten much and was running on little sleep. So, as soon as feeder finished up I dragged my fatigued bag of bones home, with a massive burrito from Taco Loco to fill the void.

I'm still waiting for the latest translation of Full Metal Alchemists' forth menga. Hopefully it will be available before I head home. I plan on getting on my plane with a bag full of books, my mp3 player and a lot of snack food. If I've learned anything from international flgihts, it's that I can't sleep on planes, the movies are usually gash, and (this is for all traveling vegetarians out there) never rely on airplane food!! so........I'm packing my own little picnic!

I've already begun buying a load of books to bring with me, but....I keep reading them! I just finished Louis Carol's, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass. Both of which are excellent novels! and I'm nearly finished Osho's, Freedom, and Ram Dass', Learning the Baghavarta Gita. I also picked up a neat little book by George Orwell called, Why I write. It's a very short read, and it's very interesting. I highly recommend any of these novels.

What I don't recommend however, is the movie Daredevil. I had the misfortune of being tired and bored last night whilst eating my giant burrito, and caught it on Pearl (I never would have rented it) My only question for Daredevil is, how the hell do you suddenly go from being nearly dead to fighting bad guys, and jumping from roof to roof with a stab wound going clear through your shoulder??? Get Lost.
He should have been left in the comic book shop along side batman's magic belt, and the penguin's impossible umbrella.

Lastly, for anyone in the hk area, Doublethinks will be playing this wednesday at the Wanch in Wan Chai. It's Free. Thanks to everyone who came out to the last show. If you've any comments or suggestions send them to brendan@doublethinks.com

Cheers
Brendan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, ur blog is haunted by those spammers! that really sucks!