Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Captain's Log: stardate 49361.5

Doublethinks' Yellow Ruby is now available for download at.....

www.doublethinks.com

Introduction:
This entry took place over two days, as I wasn't able to post yesterday because of sudden internet problem at work.

wednesday 22nd: A day of music and relaxation
I did very well for myself yesterday. I hung around all morning at the flat, reading various books, listening to music, and playing a lot of guitar. I had to go to wanchai at about half three to withdraw what was left in my LCH account.......once again things went wrong, but I don't really feel the need to dwell on it, because I needn't go back there for a long while.
Before I left for the bank I stuffed myself full of noodles and soup, and strapped on my acoustic, named Ho Wing Ka, after a funny little girl I used to teach ages ago.
So, off I went listening to music, reading my Osho book, Freedom (which I'm now nearly finished) to find a nice, quiet spot to play guitar for a while.

Luckily the spot I had in mind was, as per usual, not at all busy, and to my delightful surprise new benches were actually in place. For anyone who knows their way around hong kong island (especially those interested in performance theater) you'll probably know the spot I'm on about. It's just on the side of the Hong Kong Performance Arts centre, which is quite near the HKCEC running along the harbour front.

Anyway, as I was saying.... this place is quiet, with scarce few people passing through. There are a variety of trees poking up around the place, and every so often, you can find a lovely piece of bronze sculpture from a variety of artists. All around, a good little spot, that's easy to get to, and there's surprisingly little noise from the not too far off traffic below.

thursday 24: running down hill with a forest fire at my side
Last night after work, Rob and I decided to hit up our favourite little karaoke bar, Dundas. Dundas is by far the best watering hole we've found in Hong Kong yet. It's got everything we could ever want.....bad music, horrible singers, sociable locals, dice cups, a dart board, and it's all you can drink. Typically when we go to dundas, it's with the intent of drinking all we can, via drinking games such as russian roulet, liar, and the ever classic, internationally acclaimed JISH.

Jish is such a great game. All you need are some dice, some cups, and three or four willing participants. This is a game that Rob, Rod, Anders and I devised after a long night of careful deliberation at KK pub and cafe. It'd take far too much effort on my part (and I think my written explanation would lack the nessecary clarity to fully convey the beauty of the game) to do Jish any justice, so I'll just leave it at this... Jish is an awesome game. fun fun fun.

Rob and I ended up making our way back to sally and gabe's flat in sha tin, at around four in the morning. We took the mini bus home, which is always fun. I really do love mini buses. Their so cheap and the drivers are always a bit crazy with their driving.
After making it up to the flat, we decided it would be a great idea to drink all of gabe's delicious, Green Goodness juice and watch the first epsiode of Cowboy bebop. Definately a good idea.

Oh yeah, I only just remembered.... when we were drinking last night, rob and I got on the topic of what everything's going to be like, when we settle back into things in our respective countries. I mentioned something about how, from my perspective everyone back home (circle of friends) is still just as they were since the last time I was back, but that's clearly not going to be the case. People develope and change. This is obvious. Everyone is off doing their own thing, at various uni's, in a smattering of different towns and cities.
ahhh...
I'm having a bit of a communication breakdown here, which is expected because I'm trying to recall how this conversation unfolded last night, and writing from memory is a difficult task having just woken up not twenty minutes ago.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, all my friends back home, are still my really good friends, but I've been out of the picture for so long, that to them I must just be an old friend coming back home for a quick visit.
--------------------------------------
Actually, I don't care. Whatever has changed can not be such an obsticle that friendship is hindered. Relationships are part of the conventions of being.........they're meant to evolve. I need to stop looking for old familiarities and just do what I always do...go with the flow!

uble huble toil in bubbles

Signing off
Brendan (the warrior geek) harrington

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, dude, things will be interesting when you go home this time.

i want to see my family and friends back home...