Thursday, January 06, 2005

Education anyone????

Having only a meager secondary school diploma under my belt, I have over the past few months begun to question the value of formal (institution based) education. I realize most of you reading this right now are in fact in Uni or college, so I'd like some feed back on this one regarding the potency, and value of your learning experiences to date.

The reason I'm bringing up the topic of education is. that just today I received an email from my folks of a letter from Canada World Youth. I applyed to the CWY programme sometime late August, and to be honest I pretty much forgot about it the moment I stepped off the plane in HK. I can't remember all the details but I believe the programme I applyed for would place me somewhere either in Africa, or eastern Europe. My position would be to live with a local family to experience first hand their culture, whilst doing my best to help build/rebuild said area's infastructure. The duration of the programme depends partly on how long I think I'd be able to last, as well as the area I'd be placed. Half of the programme (anywhere from three months to one year) would be spent in a foreign country, and the other half would be spent somewhere in Canada. From what I can remember reading in August it sounds like I'd be in a remote area of Canada, living with a family native to the area of placement.

I am interested in the CWY programme, but I'm also very comfortable where I am right now. It's easy for me to simply stay in HK for as long as I like.......providing I don't get deported somewhere within the next year. Before I came back to Honky town this year, I visted Meaghan and Chelsea in Vancouver. Much of my time there, especially during the day, I spent solo. I pretty much wandered around the city, walking for hours and hours each day. One day, during my week long stay, I set out to the Vancouver Art Gallery to check out the permenant Emily Carr exhibite; though the "permenant" collection wasn't available to me because of a special exhibite 'Global Change' (turned out to be awesome) I had the idea of visiting the Emily Carr Art Institute. With a bit of searching I managed to make my way to granville island, home of the ECAI, and wandered around the small campus for a while. Almost immediatly I could feel I was surrounded by people just like me, who were busy teeter-tottering between artistic self doubt, and blossoming creativity. Home Sweet Home! I was so excited that that night when I went back to my cozy corner on Meg's dorm room floor, I started filling out my application. Because I was on my way to Hong Kong without a job, I brought along a copy of my highschool transcript, which I quickly whipped open trying to figure out if I had the academics to even be considered for admission. I do infact have the marks (just barely.....what the hell did I do at sherwood?) so now I'm working on building an amazing portfolio that will shock the world!!!!!!! Well not really but there's no harm in trying.
Ah fuck, I'm losing track of what I meant to say. Right so, NOW after become warm and cozy with Honky Life I'm not sure what to do? I truely think that in the arena of the Arts, no one really needs to go to school, but I am not blind to the by products of being surrounded by devoloping artists.......Encouragement! Inspiration! Constructive Criticism!!

Anyway, I haven't really finished what I set out to say, but I'm really freaking hungry.
Oh yeah!!!!!!!! I bought a new guitar!! It's so nice.......and I couldn't really afford it, but who cares! I just won't be able to get too drunk this month. Plus I'm sick right now, which blows, but at least I have another reason to not party my health away.
Once again, let me know what you think about the whole value of post secondary education deal.

peace and love
brendan

No comments: