Monday, April 23, 2007

Bungy a Go Go!

There it is.........Macau tower. Home of the world's highest bungy jump.






five, four, three, two, ONE!


I couldn't even move. My feet were tied so tightly together that it was impossibe to take a proper step. So, bunny hoping and penguin walking til my toes pointed over the platform and into nothing but open air was... a scary feeling.


The jump master counted down... but I was still there. I was ready when he made it to 'one!' but not on my own accord. I expected that he'd give me a little push and then there'd be no turning back. I turned to the camera at my side and yelled "I'm terrified!". The kiwi jump master told me that eveything'd be fine. All I needed to do was stretch my arms out at my sides, look straight infront of me and let myself fall forward. But when you've got nothing but a 233metre drop in front of you, it's hard to just 'fall farward'.

haha...I asked for another countdown and on 'ONE!' I was on my merry way. I was so frieghtened waiting up there on the platform....looking down....but the instant I tipped forward I let out a big 'woooooooooo!!" and experienced the first free fall of my life and it was nothing but peacefull.

Ever since I was a kid I had been afraid of roller coasters and that sickly sinking feeling. It was only a few years ago that I really got my first taste of a roller coaster, when I was in China with friends and I loved it. I knew that bungy jumping would be the same but when I was up there waiting for my turn to plunge head first into a 233 metre fall, it's difficult to remember that you're there for fun.


Anyway, I'm really happy that I was so terrified before my first bungy jump (there will definately be more!). The fear of being up so high and going down so unbelieveably quickly made the jump more exciting and so complelely memorable.


After Irene, Josh and I finished up at Macau tower and thanked everyone that helped us with our jumps, we had a wonderful dinner at a cheap local place, wandered around and took the ferry home at ten. Immigration was a breeze yet again. Seeing as I've left the country three times this month they've never questioned my 'traveling' story. Piece of piss.


The three of us are planning on getting a big group together this summer, before Irene leaves for Germany, to do a load of jumps back to back. The first jump is pricey but the second and third are nearly half price...............and............the forth jump is FREE!!

So, the plan is to do three jumps each, one after another in a single day.


I'm excited already!

You've got to try it!

.hong kong harrington

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fourth jump's free because there's no belt tighting up the 4th person ? :P

Unknown said...

I wonder how many people pee themselves doing this.